Do’s And Don’ts For Residential Electrical DIY Safety

As a first-time owner of a home, you are likely shy about working with its electrical system. The good news is that you can learn to safely troubleshoot and repair basic electrical problems in your house.

Follow these time-proven do's and don'ts of electrical safety for all of the DIY projects you complete in your family's home:

Do spend a few dollars and purchase a current testing tool. This inexpensive tool allows for easy testing of residential electrical current and will help keep you safe from shocks and possible electrocution while working with your home's electrical system.

Don't ever insert any other tools into the electrical outlets or wires in your home without first ensuring that the electrical current is turned off by first testing it with your current tool.

Do only use tools that have rubber or plastic insulated handles on them. The tool's metal can be conductive and using insulated tools will help to keep you safe. Using tools that are not insulated can cause electric current to pass from a wall socket to your body and harm you.

Don't wear any metal jewelry or shoes with metal in their soles while you are working near electrical components. Most metals are conductive and can lead to shocks if they come into contact with live wires. Dangling jewelry items or metal soles in shoes can cause shocks.

Do always test electrical pumps for overheating by placing the back of your hand on them. This orientation allows you to quickly remove your hand if there is electrical current present.

Don't ever place the palm of your hand on an electrical pump or appliance to check its status. Placing the back of your hand onto an electrical device avoids involuntary muscle contractions that can cause your hand to stick to the current's area and cause you harm.

Do always assume that electric wires and outlets are electrified and act accordingly around them. Always turn off circuit breakers to areas you will be working in, and then follow up with a testing tool to ensure that the correct area's current has been turned off.

Don't ever make electrical repairs in your home unless you are completely comfortable with doing so. If you feel uncomfortable or are not sure that you have the skills necessary to make repairs, then you should contact a licensed electrician in your area who will be happy to come to your home and safely make the repairs for you.


Share